Chairman of the Council
Dr. Jamleck Mutugi has over 30 years’ professional work experience assisting Governments of Kenya, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Malawi & Rwanda in developing and applying disease control interventions against tick-borne diseases.
He has work experience in an array of areas including: field disease control, Research and Research Management, Director Research Center. He was Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) to FAO TBD control projects in Uganda, Zimbabwe & Malawi, (Consultant Rwanda, 1999).
He has worked in various institutions in Kenya and outside the Country:
- August—Dec1999 – FAO Consultant Ministry of Agriculture Republic of Rwanda
- 1990 -Jan 1998) – FAO Chief Technical Advisor national Projects: Uganda, Zimbabwe& Malawi
- 1989-April 1990 – Director, National Veterinary Research Center, (NVRC) KARI, Muguga.
- 1988- Apri11990 – Chief Research Officer & National Tick-borne Diseases Coordinator NVRC, KARI.
- 1985-1989 – Head, Protozoology Division, ECF Program, NVRC, KARI Muguga.
- 1975-Feb 1978 – District Veterinary Officer Muranga & Machakos Districts (Counties)
In addition, he has served in various key Government Boards (2003-2014):
- 2011-Nov2014 – Chairman, Kenya Animal Genetic Resources Centre (KAGRC)
- 2010 – June2013 – Commissioner, Higher Education (CHE) (now Commission University Education)
- 2003- Jan 2010 – Council Member, Kenyatta University
- 2003 -July 2009 – Chairman, Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI)
Due to his vast experience, he was appointed to serve in selection panel for the appointments of Vice Chancellor and Deputy Vice Chancellors for Kibabii University (March 2016), selection Panel Vice Chancellor, Kenyatta University (Sep 1 2017).
Dr. Mutugi has published & co-authored some 60 papers in various scientific journals & publications.
Due to his distinguished service to the Country, Dr. Mutugi was bestowed with Presidential Award of Silver Star of Kenya Medal (SS) on Dec 12th, 1989.