Staff Visit To Riga Technical University, Latvia
Prof. Stanley Makindi, from the Department of Environmental Sciences, led 3 Machakos University staff on an Erasmus+ KA171 International staff mobility programme funded by the European Commission, to Riga Technical University (RTU), Latvia, from 23-27 October, for teaching and training mobility. The staff in the exchange programme were: Eng. Dr. Charles Mwaniki (Dean, School of Engineering and Technology), Caroline Athman (Chair, Department of Building and Civil Engineering), and Mercy Makena (Human Resource Department).
The goal of the visit was to facilitate experience exchange, training and teaching mobility, exchange of best practices, and networking activities between the partner institutions.
Activities performed during the visit include:
- RTU Campus tour
- Guest lecture by Ms. Caroline Athman on the Topic: Ecological building materials, to students at the Faculty of Materials Science and Applied Chemistry, RTU.
- Learning tour to laboratories and research projects in the Faculty of Electrical and Environmental Engineering, Institute of Energy Systems and Environment.
- Meeting with the Science and Innovation Center: – discussion on creating and developing a portfolio of innovation support projects and infrastructure.
- Meeting with representatives of RTU Management led by the Vice-Rector for Innovations: – Discussion on working in innovation ecosystem improvement processes, managing business support programme and promoting cooperation with other European Institutes of Technology and innovation communities, and innovation capacity building.
- Guest lecture by Prof. Stanley Makindi on “Sustainable Development and the Climate Change Nexus in Africa” to staff and undergraduate students of the Faculty of Electrical and Environmental Engineering.
- Meeting with Deputy Dean in Scientific work, Faculty for Computer Science and Information technology. Discussed the current market trends and projects, and areas of collaboration on joint research projects.
- Meeting with Institute of Industrial Electronics and Electrical Engineering about current trends in the industry. Discussed on their current research projects and the possibility of enjoining Machakos University and future collaboration in post graduate supervision, curriculum development and research projects.
- Meeting with Director of Human Resources management and Document Processing of the Director of Administration. Discussed:
- Digitalization of Human Resource Functions among them Recruitment
- How RTU carries out Individual Employee Performance target
- Employee recognition and employee data protection
10. Meeting with Machakos University Students at RTU:
11. Guest lecture by Prof. Stanley Makindi on “Environmental Impact Assessment: Opportunities and Limitations” to postgraduate students of the Faculty of Electrical and Environmental Engineering.
12. Meeting with the RTU Project manager and Coordinator: Discussion on future collaborations and proposal development
Guest Lecture by Prof. Stanley Makindi to staff and undergraduate students
Guest Lecture by Prof. Stanley Makindi to postgraduate students
Guest lecture by Caroline Athman
MksU students studying at RTU