APPLICATION FOR WATER ESSENCE-AFRICA MASTERS RESEARCH GRANT
Water ESSENCE-Africa is a project funded by the Norwegian Development Agency under the NORHED II program with a consortium of partner Universities from Norway (University of Bergen, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Norwegian University of Science and Technology), Ghana (University for Development Studies, University of Ghana), Rwanda (University of Rwanda), South Sudan (University of Juba), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa University), Kenya (Machakos University, University of Nairobi) and Uganda (Makerere University).
The purpose of the NORHED Programme is to strengthen capacity in higher education institutions in developing countries in order to produce higher quality graduates, more and higher-quality research, and more inclusive higher education. The overall objective of the Water ESSENCE Africa project is to co-develop, improve and retain the skills, knowledge, tools and other resources needed for the education of higher quality graduates of water-related study programs, conducting more and higher quality water research, and increasing inclusiveness of the partner universities.
The project is focused at existing and emerging challenges associated with freshwater resources and sanitation systems. The project addresses these challenges through a matrix of three vertical cross-disciplinary issues on health, climate change, and energy, and two horizontal topics: gender equality, and digitalization.
Water ESSENCE Africa, Machakos University is pleased to offer scholarships for TWO masters students who are currently in their project implementation stage and registered in one of the partner institutions.
Their research project should address one of the thematic areas for NORHED II water ESSENCE as outlined in (https://www.norad.no/en/front/funding/norhed/). The funding is for academic year 2023/2024
- Applicant must be a Masters student registered in one of the partner institutions.
- Applicant must be in the project implementation phase of their studies.
- Applicant must have a good academic record in the course work.
- Applicant must have a supervisory team comprising at least one supervisor from Machakos University
Female and differently abled students are particularly encouraged to apply.
- A letter of motivation including how the grant will contribute to achievement of career plans
- A two-to-three-page synopsis of the project including plan of how the grant will be used to contribute to the planned or ongoing research activities, and publication ambitions.
- Two academic recommendation letters, at least one from the Main Supervisor-Provide contact details for the referees
Application deadline 30th September 2023 1700hrs EAT