CALL FOR STAFF RESEARCH PROPOSALS(Updated)
- Posted by Webmaster
- Posted in University News
FOURTH CALL FOR SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS FOR INTERNAL RESEARCH GRANTS FOR MACHAKOS UNIVERSITY STAFF 2020/2021
RESPONDING TO EMERGING GLOBAL CHALLENGES THROUGH RESEARCH, INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
Machakos University has committed to provide scholarly education through Training, Research, Innovation and Technology-based solutions in responding to emerging socio-political, economic and pandemic (such as COVID-19) challenges. For this reason, Machakos University allocates funds to internally support research initiatives in the university through annual research grants; a competitive programme managed by Machakos University’s Division of Research, Innovation and Linkages (RIL). The purpose of this call is to support research in priority areas for fulfilling the university mission and strategic plan inline to Global and National Development Targets and agenda. Applicants need to demonstrate their ability to exploit Research, Innovation and Technological potential to support solution based sustainable development.
2. THE OBJECTIVES OF THE CALL
- To promote a positive research culture in the university, build research capacity among the university staff, promote collaborative research between and within various disciplines in the university.
- To mitigate the emerging global dynamics of socio-political, economic and pandemic challenges.
- To support research proposals with strong potency towards catalyzing solution-based education, innovation and technology to create adaptive mechanisms to new normal requirements as well as sustaining the existing best practices.
- Health Sciences –techniques of quarantine, contact tracing, surveillance, health emergencies, collection, management and disposal of bodies; manufacturing of medical devices; home based cares, psychophysiology, reduction of transmissions, post COVID-19 pandemics sustainability mechanism, dealing with pre-existing conditions such as cancer, diabetes, blood pressure etc. during pandemics.
- Food security and environment – including effects of food supply chain and food banks in the wake of climate change and pandemics, locust, floods, labour security, effects of sanitizers and face masks to environment.
- Big data, Finance and Entrepreneurship – impact of pandemics such as COVID-19 on educational activities, research, innovation, public and private development and community-based activities, engineering, mathematical and statistical modelling etc.
- Socio-cultural dynamics and Governance- Evidenced- based solutions from indigenous knowledge, language, culture, and complementary medicine, parapsychology in the management of pandemics, governance and policy framework implications for pandemics.
- Alternative housing, transport, and disaster management – in pandemic times, this includes but not limited to floods and COVID-19.
- Catalyzing change for access and equity in education during pandemics– ODEL, models for in-class and Online Instruction, learning outcomes etc.
The project should be carried out within a period of one (1) years with financial release based on regular satisfactory progress reports and accounting. Applicants are required to submit a detailed workplan with clear monitoring, evaluation and reporting framework.
The Grant seeks to support up to a maximum of Kshs.580,000 (Five Hundred and Eighty Thousand). The Grant does not support the purchase of electronic equipment such as laptops, Mobile Phones, cameras, printers and related accessories. The grant will cover travel to sites and not per diem/subsistence The Grant cannot be used to support a research project in progress or a non-research related proposal such as income generating and production activities.
a) The applicant must be a full-time Machakos University staff.
b) The proposals must demonstrate how they offer strategies to solve various societal problems.
c) The objectives of the proposals must be in line with national priorities such as envisaged in the Kenya Big Four Agenda and Kenya vision 2030, as well as in the sustainable development goals and in the Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy for Africa (STISA 2024) and issues concerning COVID-19 pandemic.
d) The applicant(s) should have relevant qualifications and experience in the area of the proposed project.
e) Staff members who are Principal/Lead Researchers in on-going Machakos University funded research projects are not eligible.
f) Applications must be received before/on the deadline.
g) Proposals MUST embrace Multi-disciplinary and a proposal submitted by only one applicant will not be considered.
7. APPLICATION GUIDELINES
- Applicants should email a soft copy to email@example.com and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org and submit a hard copy to the office of the Director, Research, Innovation and Extension Services not later than 31st May, 2021.
- Click Here to Download the 4th Call for Proposals Advert and the Guidelines for the Proposal Writing.
- You may also visit MksU website www.mksu.ac.ke for more information and guidelines.
For any other information or inquiries please contact:
The Director, Research Innovation and Extension Services
E mail: email@example.com