4TH CALL FOR STUDENTS’ INNOVATION CHALLENGE
Machakos University Students’ Innovation Challenge
FOURTH CALL FOR SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS FOR INTERNAL INNOVATION GRANTS FOR MACHAKOS UNIVERSITY STUDENTS 2021/2022
THEME: RESPONDING TO EMERGING GLOBAL CHALLENGES THROUGH INNOVATION
Machakos University Student’s Innovation Challenge is an annual call that seeks to offer students with opportunities in responding to emerging socio-political, economic and pandemic (such as COVID-19) challenges, in the light of the Governments Big 4 Agenda, namely: (i) Food and nutrition security (ii) Manufacturing, (iii) Affordable housing, and (iv) Universal healthcare. Students are asked to submit proposal(s) formulated in line to the theme as provided in the call. A panel of experts shall select finalists from all the received applications, and thereafter make funding decisions.
The objectives of this call are to:
- To offer opportunity to Machakos University students to strengthen their innovation and entrepreneurial skills in responding to emerging global challenges.
- Promote students’ creativity in bringing out domestic innovation and technological capabilities to support a solution based sustainable development and realize the national, regional and global agenda
- Generate tangible prototypes and proven services to increase the university competitiveness in innovation.
- Provide an opportunity for students to actualize and patent their innovations.
This call is intended to support solution-based innovation in priority areas for the fulfillment of the university mission and strategic plan in line with the Global and National Development Targets and the Big-Four agenda; addressing food and nutrition security, manufacturing, affordable housing and universal healthcare.
The project should be carried out within a period of one (1) years with financial release based on regular satisfactory progress reports and accounting. Applicants are required to submit a detailed workplan with clear monitoring, evaluation and reporting framework.
The Grant seeks to support up to a maximum of Kshs.100, 000 (One Hundred Thousand). The Grant does not support the purchase of electronic equipment such as laptops, Mobile Phones, cameras, printers and related accessories. The grant will cover travel to sites and not per diem/subsistence. The Grant cannot be used to support innovation project in progress or non-innovation related proposal such as income generating and production activities.
To be eligible:
- The applicant must be a bona fide student of Machakos University.
- A proposed project must be aligned to the Government’s Big 4 Agenda and must demonstrate:
- Contribution towards new/improved quality product
- Contribution towards improved production processes
- Potential for patenting
- Positive impact to the society.
c) Students with on-going Machakos University funded innovation projects are not eligible.
d) Students who are in their final semester of study are not eligible to apply.
7. PROPOSAL SUBMISSION
A soft copy and three (3) hard copies of the proposal should be submitted to the Director, Research, Innovation and Extension Services, anytime from 21st September to not later than 8th October, 2021. Incomplete applications as well as applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Soft copies should be submitted through the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com. In addition take note of;
- Students are encouraged to collaborate and apply as pairs or small groups from different disciplines. The lead innovator in this case should be identified.
- The application forms are available at Machakos University website: www.mksu.ac.ke students’ portal.
- Each application must be signed by a supervisor and endorsed by the Chairman of Department or Dean of School where principal innovator belongs.
8. PROPOSAL FORMAT
Applicants are required to fill the application form attached to this calls or download from students’ portal under www.mksu.ac.ke. The form should be filled in Times New Roman, font size 12. It must contain the following sections dully filled as outlined in the application form:- (i) Title of the project (ii) Principal Innovator (iii) Co-Innovator(s) (iii) Background information (iv) Summary Description of Innovation (v) Applications and Unique Features of the Innovation (vi) Sale of the Innovation (vii) Innovation History (viii) Declaration
9. APPLICATION GUIDELINES
- Applications will be processed whenever they are received from 21st September to not later than 8th October, 2021.
- You can connect to the link on information and guidelines for proposal writing. Click Here to Download the 4th Call for Proposals Advert and the Guidelines for the Proposal Writing.
- You may also visit MksU website www.mksu.ac.ke for more information and guidelines.
For any other information or inquiries please contact:
The Director, Research Innovation and Extension Services
Download STUDENT’S INNOVATION DISCLOSURE FORM